Thursday, June 3, 2010

Interview: Reel Artsy at Meltdown Comics

The lovely Karen from Reel Artsy was lucky enough to meet Rashida at her Frenemy of the State comic book signing. Check out the full interview and photos over at her site.

On what allured her to the story Frenemy of the State:

The concept for me was this girl who had been programmed to be the projected object of desire of the world and she knows her place in the world: to be pretty and go to parties, to be rich and be watched. And then all of a sudden her life changes and her priorities change and she's forced in a situation where she's going to jail or she's going to work for the CIA and in doing that she kind of discovers who she is. She discovers she's really good at something besides going to parties, and she likes her work and feels skilled and capable. I think right now, young girls, they kind of need that sort of a paradigm: where it's not just about being pretty and what you wear and who you know.

On finding her niche (entertainment and otherwise):

Finally, I do feel like I've found my place in the world and to be honest it wasn't always written out for me. I feel like I've had to battle some elements of my own confusion and people's judgment of me, which everybody obviously deals with. The more that I try to tell stories that come from me I feel like I have a better idea of who I am, especially when people like it. It makes me realize that I can be true to myself and still be able to do what I do. I don't have to fit into any mold of what the girl next door looks like, what a comedian is supposed to be, what an actress is supposed to be like. I can kinda do my own thing.

On characters she'd like to explore next:

I'd love to do some more dramatic roles. Maybe I could play something a little darker, a little sexier. I feel like I play a good girl a lot, which is fine, I'm okay with that but I'm not all good girl all the time.



Thanks Karen :)